Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Reflections from the Roadie, by Rich Reth

As I sit on the porch enjoying my morning coffee and anticipating the chaos that will ensue in just a few short hours, a thought raced through my mind. What if one of the shareholders asks ME how the week went?  I’m sure that there will be a youth service of some kind where the kids will share all of the great things that happened at Montreat.  As a congregation member, I would listen to each of the youth tell his or her story, and I would be thankful that the trip was a success.  But as a father, I would seek out the bus driver, because even though this person may appear quiet and focused on a single task, he is really in a position to see and hear all.

How would I describe this event in one word?  The first single world that comes to mind is “circus.” Thermal-nuclear disaster is technically two words even though it sounds like three when you say it.  But think about a circus and what is really happening: Three rings, entertainers and animals performing feats to the wonderment of the audience.  But closer- there is a “Ring Master”, directing each act, many of which occur simultaneously.  The performers are often attempting acrobatic maneuvers that seem impossible to the crowd, but are completed with skill and precision. 

Our three rings were comprised of two houses, less than a mile from each other, and the convention area, about 1 ½ miles farther down the road.  It is easy to imagine houses close together in a one mile span. But typographically these houses are separated by nearly 500 vertical feet on a curvy, twisted, spaghetti like road that makes babies cry and lesser men weep for their mothers (but as a driver, I digress.) 

Pastor Rebecca directed our schedules and maintained proper decorum, but our “performers” were not that at all.  Yes, there were several amazing feats that occurred and of which I have been either sworn to secrecy not to divulge or wisely know that an investigation by Montreat Police would take at least an hour and I don’t have that kind of time to waste.  What I experienced was not a performance at all, but true Christ-like compassion among the youth.  There were polite, courteous responses and communication to another.  There was a “caring” shared amongst the group that gave the impression that we were more like family than friends. 

The “Ta-Da” moments at a real circus were “God” moments for us.  Time and time again I witnessed sincere Christ-likeness among our youth.  Now the reality of it is that when nearly 20 people, some of whom had no real connection with each other prior to the conference, live together – “the fur flies.” But those instances were rare.

It was an honor to be a “roadie” for the Montreat Youth Conference.  Thank you for trusting me with your kids.  I had fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment